We’re proud to announce that Mindful QA has joined the “Stop Hate for Profit” campaign.
What is the Stop Hate for Profit Campaign?
Stop Hate for Profit was started by the Anti-Defamation League in June 2020. It’s mission is to encourage businesses to cease advertising on Facebook. Doing so will impact Facebook’s advertising revenue until they take meaningful action to address the spread of bigotry and misinformation on their platform.
Along with the ADL, the Stop Hate for Profit campaign is also led by Color of Change, Common Sense Media, Free Press, NAACP, and Sleeping Giants.
What is the Goal?
The campaign published a detailed list of recommendations for Facebook. Some of these include:
- Release data from their existing reporting form around identity-based hate.
- Remove all ads from content labeled as misinformation or hate.
- Increase safety in private groups on Facebook.
You can review their full list of product recommendations on the official Stop Hate for Profit website.
The goal of the campaign is to convince Facebook to implement the proposed changes. In doing so, they can decrease bigotry and misinformation.
With over two billion monthly users, Facebook has the power to significantly impact society and the world. Unfortunately, that power is currently being misused.
Facebook has been unwilling to make these changes despite popular demand. With this campaign, the hope is that the loss of advertising dollars from popular brands will have more of an effect.
How Can You Help the Stop Hate for Profit Campaign?
- If you’re a business/company, you can fill out the official form to join it.
- You can also spread the news on Twitter (or, if you’re still on it, Facebook).
- If you are on Facebook or Instagram (which is owned by Facebook), don’t click on any advertisements.
- Lastly, you can contact businesses that you frequent and encourage them to join. The easiest ways to do so are emailing and/or tweeting at them.
What Companies Have Joined Stop Hate for Profit?
Some of the brands and companies that have joined so far include
- The North Face
- Best Buy
- Ben & Jerry’s
- Peet’s Coffee
- Dunkin Donuts
- Magnolia Pictures
- Habitat for Humanity
- Eddie Bauer
- Blue Bottle Coffee
- Lending Club
…and hundreds more. You can see the full list of confirmed brands and companies here.
You can also follow Sleeping Giants on Twitter, as they confirm each new company that joins.
As awareness rises, more and more companies are joining every day. The campaign only started a few days ago – so you can expect to see many more big names coming soon.
In fact, many big digital agencies are encouraging their clients to join the campaign. Companies may be concerned about losing revenue by joining. But the goodwill from their appreciative customers will likely make up for any revenue lost.
You can read more articles and press on the campaign here.